- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound Yukon Gold or other waxy potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 good-quality vegetable bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1 cup of boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup tubetti or other small pasta
- 1 large tomato, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped mixed herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, basil and sage
- 1/2 cup mascarpone or sour cream
- In a saucepan, cook the onion in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, bouillon, crushed pepper and 5 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato and herbs and cook for 1 minute longer. Season with salt and serve with mascarpone.
Corvo Bianco or Regaleali Bianco, both from Sicily.