© Wendell T. Webber
Sicilian Lemon Marinade
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 large lemons, removed in wide strips with a vegetable peeler
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 large rosemary sprigs, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- APPLICATIONS: In a medium saucepan, combine the olive oil with the lemon zest, bay leaves, rosemary sprigs and cracked peppercorns and cook over moderate heat just until sizzling. Add a large pinch of salt; remove from the heat. Let cool slightly, then stir in the lemon juice and water.
- Use as a 1-hour marinade for swordfish, tuna or shrimp, or to marinate veal, chicken or pork for up to 4 hours before grilling, broiling or sautéing. Strain and toss with salad greens, olives and croutons and roasted potatoes or drizzle over poached fish.