- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 lemons
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh yarrow leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 24 large shrimp—shelled, deveined and cut almost in half lengthwise down the back
- Cayenne pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450° and light the grill, if you're using one. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil and garlic.
- Cut the pointed ends from the lemons so they will sit flat, then halve them crosswise. Set them flesh side up in a glass or ceramic baking dish and spoon 1 tablespoon of the sugar on each half. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sugar is melted and the pulp is soft. Preheat the broiler, if using.
- Sprinkle the chopped yarrow inside the shrimp and pinch closed. Brush the shrimp with the garlic oil and season with salt and cayenne. Grill or broil the shrimp 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque. Squeeze some of the lemon juice over the shrimp and garnish with the yarrow sprigs. Serve at once with the baked lemons.
Pair with a Rhône-style white wine like a Roussane. The wine's exotic aromas of peach, apricot and jasmine along with its lush texture should complement the layers of flavorssweet, rich, tangy, grassyin this dish.