- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate that has been dissolved in 2 tablespoons of warm water
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add the chopped onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and chiles and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the ground cumin, coriander, garam masala and turmeric. Cook the ground spices for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to moderate, add the chopped tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, brown sugar, cilantro, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until they're pink and curled, about 5 minutes. Transfer the shrimp and sauce to a shallow bowl and serve at once.
Serve With Steamed basmati rice.
Fruity, lightly sweet white.