Shrimp with Green Beans and Toasted Coconut
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 pound slender green beans
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Thai chile, minced
- 1 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and spread out on a large plate to cool to room temperature.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garam masala and chile and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the shrimp are just white throughout, about 3 minutes. Stir in the green beans and cook to heat through, about 1 minute. Stir in the coconut milk and soy sauce, then fold in the toasted coconut. Transfer to plates, garnish with the cilantro and serve with steamed rice.
Make AheadThe toasted coconut can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.