Shrimp with Coconut-Curry Tomato Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- One 28-ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped, juices reserved
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 1/4 cup very coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño and ginger and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the coconut milk and sugar, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut oil until almost smoking. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly browned but not cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut-curry sauce to the skillet and simmer until it is thickened and the shrimp are just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.