Shrimp with Cannellini-Bean Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
Shrimp and sage-scented white beans is a popular Italian combination. Use only high-quality canned beans—Goya is a reliable brand—or your salad will surely be mushy.
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 1/3 cups drained and rinsed cannellini beans (two 15-ounce cans)
- Light the grill or heat the broiler. Thread the shrimp onto four skewers. In a shallow glass dish, combine 1/4 cup of the oil with the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add the skewers and turn to coat the shrimp. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion with the remaining 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, the parsley, sage, vinegar, and pepper. Gently stir in the beans.
- Grill or broil the shrimp, turning once, until just done, about 5 minutes in all. Serve the shrimp with the bean salad.
The beans and the shrimp require a white with good body and full flavor. Tocai Friulano gives you both, while at the same time contributing a lively acidity that refreshes the palate.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.