Shrimp Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Tim Byres’s shrimp tacos are delicious with this tangy salsa, but the surprise here is the crunchy celery salad on top.
- 1/2 pound tomatillos—husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1/2 small onion, quartered
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp (about 36), shelled and deveined
- Twelve 6-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- Shredded green cabbage and parsley leaves, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatillos, onion, jalapeño and garlic with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a blender.
- Boil the cooking liquid until reduced to 1/4 cup, then add it to the blender and let cool completely. Puree the salsa and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salsa to a bowl, stir in the chopped cilantro and refrigerate until chilled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the celery with the lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan; oil the grill grate. Thread 3 shrimp onto each skewer. Brush the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the skewers and transfer to a platter. Serve the shrimp with the salsa, celery salad, warm tortillas, cabbage and parsley leaves so guests can assemble their own tacos.
Spritzy, lime-scented Vinho Verde from Portugal, like the NV Broadbent, is fantastic with these spicy, cilantro-laced tacos. Or have a cooling lager, like Dos Equis from Mexico.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.