Shrimp-Stuffed Triple-Baked Potatoes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The topping for these potatoes is as ingenious as it is simple: Shrimp are simmered in garlic-infused crème fraîche to flavor them; then the crème fraîche is reduced to make a silky sauce.
- 6 medium white potatoes (about 5 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 12 medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Prick the potatoes a few times with a fork and bake on a rack in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend the crème fraîche with the garlic; season with salt and white pepper and let stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°. When the roasted potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl, leaving a thin wall around the skins. Reserve 8 of the potato skin halves; set aside the rest for another use or discard. Mash the flesh well with a potato masher, then gently mash in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and the warm cream and season with salt and white pepper.
- Rub the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter all over the outsides of the 8 reserved potato skins and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the potato skins, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake in the upper third of the oven for about 3 minutes, or until the skins are lightly crisp. Spoon the filling into the potato skins and continue baking for about 10 minutes, or until heated through and glazed on top.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the crème fraîche. Add the shrimp and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until pink and starting to curl, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a plate. Increase the heat to moderately high and simmer the crème fraîche until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Return the shrimp to the sauce.
- Set 2 baked potato halves on each plate. Spoon the shrimp and crème fraîche sauce over the stuffed potatoes and serve immediately.
An intense, concentrated Chardonnay from Napa Valley that is flamboyant enough to stand up to the crème fraîche topping of these potatoes.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.