- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound Napa cabbage, leaves and ribs sliced separately 1/2 inch thick
- 4 1/2 tablespoons chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon black soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
How to make this recipe
Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the cabbage ribs and cook for 10 seconds. Add the leaves and cook for 20 seconds. Drain the cabbage and rinse under cold water; drain well.
In a small bowl, combine the chicken stock with the cornstarch, black soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper to make the sauce.
Warm a wok over high heat for 45 seconds. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the wok. Add the ginger and cook for 10 seconds. Stir in the garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook, turning once, until they begin to turn pink and curl up, about 15 seconds per side. Add all the cabbage and stir-fry for 2 1/2 minutes. Make a well in the center, pushing the mixture to the side of the wok. Stir the sauce and pour it into the well. Bring to a simmer, stir-frying to blend. Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with the bell pepper and serve.
One Serving Calories 130 kcal, Total Fat 4.5 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm