© Mikkel Vang
Shrimp Soup with Black Beans and Hominy
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 meaty ham hock (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 large carrots, halved
- 4 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 quarts water
- One 15-ounce can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ancho chile—stemmed, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Hass avocado, half diced, half sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro sprigs
- In a large pot, bring the ham hock, carrots, garlic, onion, celery, bay leaf and water to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 2 hours. Strain, return to the pot and boil until reduced to 10 cups, 10 minutes; skim.
- Add the hominy, black beans, red bell pepper and ancho and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the bell pepper is tender, about 6 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink. Add the lime juice. Ladle into bowls, garnish with the avocado and cilantro and serve.
Notes One Serving 285 calories, 9.4 gm total fat, 2 gm saturated fat, 32 gm carb.