© Mikkel Vang
Shrimp Soup with Black Beans and Hominy
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 meaty ham hock (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 large carrots, halved
- 4 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 quarts water
- One 15-ounce can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ancho chile—stemmed, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Hass avocado, half diced, half sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro sprigs
- In a large pot, bring the ham hock, carrots, garlic, onion, celery, bay leaf and water to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 2 hours. Strain, return to the pot and boil until reduced to 10 cups, 10 minutes; skim.
- Add the hominy, black beans, red bell pepper and ancho and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the bell pepper is tender, about 6 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink. Add the lime juice. Ladle into bowls, garnish with the avocado and cilantro and serve.
NotesOne Serving 285 calories, 9.4 gm total fat, 2 gm saturated fat, 32 gm carb.