Shrimp Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp—shelled and deveined, shrimp halved lengthwise, shells reserved
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 6 ounces watercress (10 cups packed), thick stems discarded
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the shrimp shells, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the shells start to brown, about 3 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Strain the shrimp stock and return it to the saucepan. Boil over high heat until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 10 minutes. Pour the reduction into a small bowl. Stir in the vinegar and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, tossing, until just cooked, about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss the watercress with the dressing. Add the shrimp and toss. Mound the salad on plates and serve.
Zesty, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.