© James Baigrie
Shrimp in Pomegranate Curry
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 canned tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails left on
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- In a small jar, mix the pomegranate molasses with the water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small saucepan. Add the onion and curry powder and cook over moderately high heat, stirring often, until the onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the pomegranate mixture and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the onion is very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper, add them to the skillet and stir-fry over moderately high heat until firm to the touch and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
- Spoon the shrimp onto plates, pour the pomegranate curry sauce on top and serve immediately.
Notes One Serving Calories 314 kcal, Total Fat 13 gm, Saturated Fat 1.2 gm.