- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 5 small dried red chiles (See Note)
- 1 thin loaf of French or Italian bread, for serving
- In a large, heavy nonreactive skillet, combine the olive oil and garlic slices and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the garlic is lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and dried red chiles and cook, stirring frequently, just until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately remove the skillet from the heat and season the shrimp lightly with salt.
- Serve the warm shrimp at once in their flavored oil with the bread for sopping it up.
Small dried red chiles are available at specialty food stores and most supermarkets.