Shrimp in Fragrant Green Sauce
- SERVINGS: 4
Jimmy Rodriguez's chef, Luis Rivera, makes this delicious shrimp by stirring cilantro pesto into the reduced pan sauce.
- 2 cups (packed) cilantro sprigs
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fish stock or bottled clam juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a food processor, combine the cilantro, garlic and lemon juice and process to a paste. With the machine on, pour in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Scrape the cilantro pesto into a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil. Add half of the shrimp and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until barely cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Add the scallions and jalapeño to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the fish stock and simmer over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return the shrimp to the skillet with any accumulated juices. Stir in the cilantro pesto and bring just to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Stir in the butter and serve.