- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 1/3 cups drained and rinsed cannellini beans (two 15-ounce cans)
How to make this recipe
- Light the grill or heat the broiler. Thread the shrimp onto four skewers. In a shallow glass dish, combine 1/4 cup of the oil with the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add the skewers and turn to coat the shrimp. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion with the remaining 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, the parsley, sage, vinegar, and pepper. Gently stir in the beans.
- Grill or broil the shrimp, turning once, until just done, about 5 minutes in all. Serve the shrimp with the bean salad.
Test-Kitchen Tip We put the shrimp on skewers before grilling so that they don't fall through the grate. If you don't have metal skewers, the disposable wooden ones work just fine. Soak them in water for ten or fifteen minutes before using them so that they don't burn up. Or you could use a grilling basket.
The beans and the shrimp require a white with good body and full flavor. Tocai Friulano gives you both, while at the same time contributing a lively acidity that refreshes the palate.