- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 12 ounces carnaroli rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
How to make this recipe
- Cook the asparagus in salted boiling water until crisp-tender. Drain and cool under running water; cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the shrimp and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until just white throughout, 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water and the stock to a boil. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Add enough stock to just cover the rice and cook, stirring, until the stock has been absorbed. Stir in the saffron and continue stirring in stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until nearly absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and suspended in a creamy sauce, 25 minutes. Stir in the cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Fold in the asparagus and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper.
Lemony Tuscan white.