Shrimp, Asparagus and Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News The ingredients in this zesty, fresh-tasting, one-dish meal deliver a slew of antioxidants, protein and vitamins.
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ounce ricotta salata (3 tablespoons), grated
- In a large skillet of boiling, salted water, cook the asparagus for 3 minutes. Drain, pat dry and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths.
- Heat the olive oil in the same skillet. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until pink, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened. Add the basil, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until the garlic is golden. Add the tomato sauce and water and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Break each egg into a ramekin, then gently pour it into the simmering sauce, cover the skillet and cook over low heat until the white is just firm and the yolk is still runny, about 3 minutes. Using a large spoon, transfer the eggs to plates. Add the asparagus and shrimp to the sauce and heat through, then spoon them around the eggs. Sprinkle with the ricotta salata and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.