© Lucas Allen
Shrimp and Scallops with Lemony Soy
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus 30 min marinating
- SERVINGS: makes 16 skewers
The Japanese-style marinade here works especially fast, thanks to the combination of tart citrus and salty soy sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 cup sake
- 2 lemons, very thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, very thinly sliced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 pound large sea scallops
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- In a glass or ceramic baking dish, combine the soy sauce with the mirin, sake, lemon slices and jalapeños.
- Thread the shrimp onto 8 pairs of bamboo skewers and add them to the marinade, turning to coat. Repeat with the scallops. Refrigerate the seafood for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through, then drain.
- Light a grill and oil the grates. Brush the shrimp and scallops with oil and grill over high heat, turning once or twice, until lightly charred, about 4 minutes. Serve right away.
Serve WithGrilled eggplant and scallions.
Vibrant, fruit-forward rosé.