Shrimp and Rice Pilaf, Indian-Style
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice ( 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 pitted prunes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the salt and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the onion, almonds, pistachios, coriander and turmeric and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add the shrimp, prunes and orange zest and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, to heat through. Add the dill and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Spoon onto plates and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.