Shrimp and Poblano Salad with Tortillas
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Because shrimp can dry out on the grill, Marcia Kiesel wraps them in slices of cured meat first so they stay succulent. Here she uses salami, which adds an instantly rich and garlicky flavor to the shellfish (you can also wrap the shrimp in bacon or prosciutto). The poblanos and tortillas can cook at the same time as the shrimpanother way she keeps this recipe simple.
- 3 large ears corn, shucked
- 2 large poblano chiles
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 dozen medium shrimp (about 10 ounces), shelled and deveined
- 12 thin slices of salami (3 ounces), halved
- Four 8-inch flour tortillas
- Light a grill. In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the corn until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and let cool, then cut the kernels from the cobs into a large bowl.
- Grill the poblanos and red pepper over high heat, turning, until charred all over and tender, about 5 minutes for the poblanos and 8 minutes for the red pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet to cool. Remove the charred skins, seeds and stems and cut the poblanos and red pepper into 2-by-1/2-inch strips. Add them to the corn.
- In a small bowl, mix the 3 tablespoons of oil with the lime juice, cilantro and garlic. Pour the dressing over the corn and season with salt and pepper; toss well.
- Brush the shrimp with oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Wrap each shrimp in a half slice of salami and skewer 6 shrimp onto each of 4 metal skewers. Grill over high heat, turning once, until the salami is crisp and the shrimp are just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer the shrimp to a plate. Generously brush the flour tortillas with oil and grill over high heat until blistered and charred, about 1 minute per side.
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers. Add them to the corn salad and toss well. Transfer the salad to plates and serve with the grilled tortillas.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.