Shrimp and Papaya Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This sweet, spicy salad is loaded with papaya, a rich source of vitamins A and C. When shopping for papayas, look for yellowish ones that give slightly to pressure.
- 1 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 small hot chile, such as Thai or serrano, very finely chopped
- 1 small ripe papaya (1 1/2 pounds)peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 bunch watercress (6 ounces), thick stems discarded
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the shrimp until pink and curled, about 2 minutes. Drain and plunge the shrimp into the ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lime juice, lime zest and chile and season with salt. Add the papaya, onion, celery, watercress, cilantro and shrimp and toss gently. Scatter the cashews on top and serve.
Crisp, citrusy Riesling.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.