Shrimp and Feta Salad with Minty Almond Pesto
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large garlic cloves, 1 clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 1/4 cup roasted salted almonds
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems discarded
- 1 fennel bulb—trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound feta cheese (preferably French), thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the olive oil with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, the minced garlic and the oregano. Season with salt and pepper and add the shrimp; toss to coat.
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds with the 2 whole garlic cloves, the parsley and mint until finely chopped. With the machine on, add 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a thin stream, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the pesto to a bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add the watercress and fennel and toss to coat. Add three-fourths of the feta and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to plates.
- Preheat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp and cook over high heat, turning once, until pink and browned in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. Place the shrimp on the salad and top with the remaining feta. Spoon some pesto on top and serve right away, passing the remaining pesto on the side.
A bold Tuscan white, such as a Vernaccia di San Gimignano from Italy.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.