- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 12 thin slices of fresh ginger
- 3 jalapeños—stemmed, quartered and seeded
- 1 1/4 pounds shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Steamed rice and lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of the coconut milk, the water, ginger, jalapeños and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and simmer over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
Add the shrimp and simmer, stirring a few times, until just cooked, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk and bring back to a simmer. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the lime juice. Season the curry with salt and transfer to plates. Serve with steamed rice and lime wedges.