- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 head escarole, cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 ounces firm chorizo, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, dissolve the honey in 2 tablespoons of the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 6 tablespoons of water, then stir in the bread flour, the 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and the salt until a lumpy mass forms. On a floured work surface, knead the pizza dough until smooth. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 500° and set a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven to heat for at least 30 minutes. On a floured work surface, divide the dough in half and roll each half into a ball. Flatten each ball into a 6-inch disk and transfer to a large, floured baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until puffed, about 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 1 minute. Add the escarole and cook, tossing, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a floured work surface, roll out 1 disk of dough to an 11-inch round. Transfer to a floured pizza peel. Lightly brush the edge of the dough with olive oil. Scatter half of the Manchego over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge, then top with half of the shrimp, chorizo and escarole. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake for 5 minutes, or until the crust is browned on the bottom, the shrimp is cooked through and the other toppings are sizzling. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
The pizza dough can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Let the dough return to room temperature before proceeding.