- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained, 1/4 cup of the juices reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared hummus
- 4 pocketless pita breads
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced chorizo (2 ounces)
- 1/2 pound shelled and deveined raw medium shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 pound Manchego cheese, shredded (1 cup)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 500° and position a rack in the center. In a medium bowl, mix the drained tomatoes and their reserved juices with the olive oil, honey, vinegar, thyme, shallot, garlic, parsley and crushed red pepper; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the hummus on the pita breads and top with the chorizo, shrimp and Manchego. Bake directly on the oven rack for about 4 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked and the cheese is melted. Transfer the shrimp and chorizo flatbreads to a work surface. Using a slotted spoon, top with the tomato dressing. Quarter the flatbreads and serve at once.
Spicy, medium-bodied Tempranillo.