Shrimp-and-Boston-Lettuce Salad with Garlic, Anchovy, and Mint Dressing
- SERVINGS: 4
The name of this salad sums it up—boiled shrimp, a gutsy dressing, and tender greens. Mild Boston lettuce wouldn't usually support such a bold dressing, but here it works.
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 cloves garlic
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled
- 2 small heads Boston lettuce (about 1/2 pound in all), torn into bite-size pieces (about 2 1/2 quarts)
- In a blender, combine the anchovies, garlic, and lemon zest. Pulse to chop. Add the mint, oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the shrimp until they just turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the shrimp and transfer them to a medium glass or stainless-steel bowl. Toss the shrimp with half the dressing.
- Put the lettuce in a large glass or stainless-steel bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Put the greens on plates; top with the shrimp.
Grill the shrimp instead of boiling them. Large shrimp will need about three minutes per side.
Substitute large sea scallops, either grilled or sautéed, for the shrimp.
The refreshing flavor of this salad requires a similarly refreshing wine. For a nice, cool accompaniment, choose a light, herbal Sauvignon Blanc from Italy's Alto Adige or Collio regions.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.