- 20 baby beets (1 1/4 pounds), preferably a mixture of white, golden and red, greens trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chicken stock, canned low-sodium broth or water
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and butterflied
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
How to make this recipe
Put each color of beet into a separate small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the water and simmer over low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and peel the beets.
In a medium skillet, melt the butter in 1/4 cup of the chicken stock. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
Add the sherry vinegar and the beets to the skillet and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Stir in the capers, chives parsley, shrimp and the remaining 1 tablespoon of stock and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.
The cooked beets can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.
One Serving Calories 186 kcal, Total Fat 7.7 gm, Saturated Fat 4.1 gm, Protein 17 gm, Carbohydrates 12 gm.