Shrimp-and-Avocado Salad with Mango Dressing
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
In Middle Quarters, a village on the southern coast of Jamaica, roadside stands serve sweet shrimp simmered in peppery broth. Inspired by this, Bradford Thompson simmers shrimp in a fragrant broth made with lager, chile and fresh ginger, then serves them with avocado and a light mango dressing for a great salad.
- 1 lemon, halved
- 6 cups water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, halved
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- One 12-ounce bottle of lager, such as Red Stripe
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 mango, peeled and finely diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon minced Scotch bonnet or habanero chile
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Hass avocados, sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Squeeze the lemon halves into a large saucepan then add them to the pan. Add the water, onion, salt, Scotch bonnet, ginger and beer and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes, just until pink. Drain the shrimp and spread on a platter. Refrigerate until chilled. Halve the shrimp horizontally.
- In a blender, combine 1/3 cup of the diced mango with the vinegar, lime juice and mustard and puree until smooth. With the machine on, add the oil in a thin stream and blend until very smooth. Add the cilantro, lime zest and minced Scotch bonnet and pulse just to combine.
- Transfer the dressing to a large bowl. Add the shrimp, red onion and the remaining mango and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Arrange the avocado slices around a large platter. Mound the shrimp salad in the center and garnish with lime wedges. Serve right away.
Bradford Thompson gives his sweet, rich shrimp salad some crucial acidity with lime juice and zest, and a light citrusy white wine will work with it in almost exactly the same way. Sauvignon Blanc is the definition of a zippy grape varietysipping it can sometimes taste like eating fresh citrus fruit.