Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Citrus Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe Hass avocados—halved, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the shrimp until loosely curled and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the grapefruit and lime juices, vinegar and oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the citrus dressing to the shrimp, toss well and season with salt and pepper. Season the tomatoes and avocado slices with salt and pepper and arrange on a platter with the onion, alternating and overlapping the slices. Spoon the remaining citrus dressing over the salad and top with the shrimp. Drizzle olive oil over all and serve immediately.
A lively, crisp New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc will have enough acidity to stand up to the sharpness of the tomatoes and vinaigrette, and still accent the shrimp.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.