- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- One-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
- Simmer the congee for about 1 hour or until the congee is thickened and creamy. Add the shredded chicken and sesame seed oil. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste. Garnish with green onions. Serve the congee hot.
As the congee cools, it will become thicker. Add additional stock or water if necessary to make the congee to your desired thickness.