Shredded Caesar Salad on Toasts
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 hors d'oeuvres
Bronson Van Wyck chops the lettuce for this salad very finely to become a topping for crunchy, garlicky toasts. He used to give this Caesar dressing as a gift before adding it to his new line of products.
- 1 medium oval country loaf, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 garlic cloves—1 minced and 1 halved
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon capers—rinsed, drained and minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 romaine hearts (1 1/2 pounds), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- Preheat the broiler. Brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil the slices 6 inches from the heat for about 3 minutes, turning once, until crisp and golden on the outside but still slightly soft in the center. Rub one side of each slice with the halved garlic.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the minced garlic with the lemon juice, anchovy paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and capers. Gradually whisk in the 3/4 cup of olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the romaine with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad on the toasts, garnished with shaved cheese.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.