Short Rib Banh Mi with Quick Pickles and Fresh Herbs
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 sandwiches
These Vietnamese-inspired sandwiches are a clever and tasty way to use leftover beef stew.
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups leftover Short Rib Stew (2 pieces of meat and 1 1/2 cups of vegetables)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup small cilantro sprigs
- Place the cucumbers and onion separately in 2 small bowls. In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of water with the vinegar, sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt and stir over moderate heat just until the sugar dissolves. Pour the brine over the cucumbers and onion and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally; drain.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the leftover meat. Lightly rinse the leftover vegetables and pat dry. In a food processor, combine the vegetables and mayonnaise and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetable mayo on the bottom half of the baguette. Top with the pickles, meat and herbs. Top with the other baguette half, cut into 4 sandwiches and serve.