Shiitake Mushroom Sauté with Watercress
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth, defatted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonreactive skillet. Add the diced red bell pepper and minced garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the sliced mushroom and chicken stock and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and let cool slightly.
- Arrange the watercress on a large plate and spoon the mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with the mint and serve.
Notes One Serving Calories 58 kcal, Protein 3.7 gm, Carbohydrate 7 gm, Cholesterol .2 mg, Total Fat 2.4 gm, Saturated Fat .4 gm.