- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or substitute brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 eggplant, cut in half lengthwise then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Cooked rice or noodles, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl whisk together the ginger, garlic, water, palm or brown sugar, chili-garlic sauce and soy sauce. Taste and add salt to needed. Whisk in the cornstarch.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Add the eggplant and shiitake mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently until the eggplant has started to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 5 more minutes.
Stir in the sauce and cook until it has thickened and coats the vegetables, about 30 seconds.
Remove from the heat and serve immediately with rice or noodles.