- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 pound cleaned small squid—bodies cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings, tentacles left whole
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Stir in the wine and cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the water, stock and milk to a boil. Gradually whisk in the polenta. Cook over moderate heat, whisking, until the polenta is slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Bring the tomato sauce back to a simmer. Add the shrimp and squid and simmer over moderately high heat until barely cooked, about 2 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and cook until they open, 4 minutes. Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the polenta and ladle it into bowls. Spoon the stew over the polenta and serve.
Vibrant Sangiovese is a fantastic pairing with tomato-based dishes.