Shellfish in Brodetto
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 4 thick slices of rustic bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing and drizzling
- 5 garlic cloves4 smashed, 1 whole
- 4 small dried red chiles, smashed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 3/4 pound sea scallops, halved horizontally
- 1/2 cup small basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°. On a baking sheet, toast the bread for 8 minutes, until golden. Brush the toasts with olive oil and rub them all over with the whole garlic clove. Put 1 toast in the bottom of each of 4 bowls.
- In a deep skillet, heat the 1/4 cup of oil. Add the smashed garlic and the chiles and cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook over moderately high heat for 2 minutes. Add the clam juice and bring to a boil. Add the clams and tomatoes, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the mussels and scallops, cover and cook over high heat until the clams and mussels open and the scallops are just cooked, 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the seafood to the bowls. Boil the broth for 1 minute, until slightly reduced. Add the basil, season lightly with salt and pour the broth into the bowls. Drizzle with oil and serve.
South African Chenin Blanc is a good match for seafood.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.