© Con Poulos
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
For a twist on your usual cheese course, try this rich and creamy savory soufflé with a glass of sweet Riesling.
Slideshows: More Savory Soufflés
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of piment d'Espelette or other red chile powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces Ossau-Iraty Brebis cheese or other semi-firm sheep-milk cheese, grated on the large holes of a box grater (2 1/2 cups)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Butter and flour six 1 1/2-cup ramekins.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the minced shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the 2 tablespoons of flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 30 seconds. While whisking, add the milk in a slow, steady stream; whisk in the salt and piment d'Espelette and season with black pepper. Cook over moderate heat, whisking, until the mixture comes to a simmer and is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cheese until it is melted.
- Transfer the soufflé base to a large bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, until incorporated and no streaks remain. Let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, using an electric mixer, beat all of the egg whites at high speed until firm peaks form. Fold one-third of the whites into the soufflé base to lighten it, then fold in the remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Spoon the soufflé base into the prepared ramekins, filling each one about three-fourths full. Bake the soufflés for 12 to 13 minutes, until puffed, just set and golden on top. Serve immediately.
Try these savory soufflés with a light or apple-scented dessert Riesling.