Shaved Zucchini with Miso Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
In addition to salt, Tyler Florence uses misothe creamy Japanese soybean paste'to season his crisp salad of zucchini ribbons tossed with toasted sesame seeds and crackling strips of nori (dried seaweed). Be sure to serve this zucchini salad as soon as it's ready because it can get watery while it sits.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black or white sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Thai chile, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 firm medium zucchini
- 1 sheet of nori, julienned (see Note)
- If using white sesame seeds, in a small skillet, toast them over moderate heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste, soy sauce, scallions, rice vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and chile. Whisk in the olive oil and stir in the cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
- Using a mandoline, cut the zucchini lengthwise into paper-thin slices. In a very large bowl, toss the zucchini with the dressing. Transfer to a platter. Scatter the nori and toasted sesame seeds on top and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.