Shaved Raw Asparagus with Parmesan Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Asparagus often makes wine taste vegetal. To counter that, chef Mark Ladner of Manhattan's Del Posto mixes shaved spears with a supremely wine-friendly ingredient: parmesan.
- 2 pounds large asparagus
- 1 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus into long, thin strips and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the Parmigiano-Reggiano with the lemon juice, water and olive oil. Add to the asparagus and toss to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve at once.
Otto wine director Dan Amatuzzi loves the idea. "Cheese makes my life easier," he says. He pairs the dish with a citrusy white from the south of Italy.