Shaved-Fennel Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
For a New York City-inspired dinner at City Grit, Sarah Simmons created this crisp salad to represent Staten Island. “In my mind,” she says, “that borough is all Italian. Or at least I think it is.” Dried cherries, toasted pine nuts, endive and radicchio give the salad sweet, savory and bitter flavors.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 large fennel bulbs—halved lengthwise, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 Belgian endive—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small head of radicchio (6 ounces)—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for garnish
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, shaking the pan, until the nuts are lightly golden, about 4 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar with the shallot, anchovies, mustard and garlic and puree until smooth. With the blender on, drizzle in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the fennel slices with the endive and radicchio. Add the anchovy vinaigrette, pine nuts and cherries and toss to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper, garnish with cheese shavings and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.