- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 large fennel bulbs—halved lengthwise, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 Belgian endive—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small head of radicchio (6 ounces)—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, shaking the pan, until the nuts are lightly golden, about 4 minutes.
In a blender, combine the vinegar with the shallot, anchovies, mustard and garlic and puree until smooth. With the blender on, drizzle in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the fennel slices with the endive and radicchio. Add the anchovy vinaigrette, pine nuts and cherries and toss to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper, garnish with cheese shavings and serve right away.