- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon sweet Spanish smoked paprika
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped with their liquid
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and fennel and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add both chiles and the bell pepper and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, harissa and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and water and simmer over low heat until the sauce is thickened, 10 minutes.
Crack the eggs into the sauce. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the whites are firm and the yolks are runny, 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce and eggs into bowls and sprinkle with the parsley and crumbled feta. Serve right away.
One Serving 191 cal, 10 gm fat, 2.7 gm sat fat, 18 gm carb, 5 gm fiber, 10 gm protein.
Bright, strawberry-scented Beaujolais.