- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- One 8-ounce bag shredded slaw mix (4 cups)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups gluten-free crisp rice cereal, very finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Canola oil, for frying
- 6 gluten-free hot dog rolls, split, toasted and buttered
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice and celery seeds. Add the slaw, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and toss well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes.
In a pie plate, whisk the crushed cereal with the brown sugar, celery salt, garlic salt, thyme and 1 teaspoon of pepper. In another pie plate, beat the eggs with 2 tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt. Dust the shrimp in the crumbs, tapping off the excess.
Dip the dusted shrimp in the egg mixture, then dredge again in the crumbs and transfer to a baking sheet.
In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of canola oil to 350°. Add half the shrimp to the oil and fry until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. Fill the rolls with the fried shrimp and coleslaw and serve right away.