Sesame Crisps with Seared Sea Scallops
- SERVINGS: MAKES 16 HORS D'OEUVRES
These clever crisps are made of phyllo dough sprinkled with sesame seeds, then cut into strips and folded into triangles.
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, plus extra in case of tearing (1/2 pound), thawed overnight in the refrigerator if frozen
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 16 medium sea scallops (3/4 pound)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime, julienned
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Lay 1 sheet of the phyllo dough on a work surface and brush with melted butter. Lightly sprinkle white and black sesame seeds over the phyllo. Make 2 more layers, brushing the phyllo with butter and sprinkling it with sesame seeds. Top with a fourth sheet of phyllo and brush with butter.
- Cut the layered phyllo lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip in half crosswise. Fold the top corner of a strip over to form a triangle, then continue folding the triangle like a flag. Repeat with the remaining 7 strips. Repeat the layering and folding with the remaining 4 sheets of phyllo, the butter and sesame seeds. Set the phyllo triangles on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream with the lime juice. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet until very hot. Add the scallops and cook over high heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of the sour cream on each sesame crisp and top with a scallop. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon of sour cream on each scallop and garnish with lime zest. Transfer to a platter and serve at once.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.