© Chris Chen
- SERVINGS: 4
Eric Ripert invented this delicious rum drink on the spot in Puerto Rico.
Plus: More Cocktail Recipes
- 6 large basil leaves
- 2 large limes, quartered
- 2 navel oranges, quartered
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon minced Thai chile, with some seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum
- 4 cups crushed ice
- In a large bowl, combine 2 of the basil leaves with the limes, oranges, orange juice, sugar, chile and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. Using a potato masher or a large wooden pestle, pound the limes and oranges until the sugar is dissolved and a rich syrup forms. Squeeze and discard the lime and orange quarters. Stir in the rum.
- Fill 4 large wineglasses or highball glasses with the crushed ice and bury a basil leaf in each. Fill with the rum drink, garnish each drink with grated nutmeg and serve.
Make AheadThe recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.