Mixed Berry Hand Pies with Raspberry-Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Two sheets cold puff pastry (about 1/2 pound each), preferably all butter
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup mascarpone
- Make the pies: Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, toss the blueberries, blackberries and raspberries with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar and the cinnamon and salt. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to 1/8 inch thick. Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares and transfer them to the baking sheets. Spoon the berry filling over half of each pastry square, leaving a 1/2-inch border; fold the pastry over to create a triangle and press the edges together firmly to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork. Cut a small slit on the top of each pie. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the tops of the pies with the cream and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake the pies until golden, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Make the whipped cream: In a small bowl, using a fork, crush the raspberries with the sugar until they are broken down but still slightly chunky. In a medium bowl, beat the cream with the mascarpone until stiff. Gently fold the crushed raspberries into the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve the hand pies warm or at room temperature with a generous dollop of the raspberry whipped cream.