Manchego-Stuffed Chiles with Avocado Salsa
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 8 Slim Jim or Anaheim chiles
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- Hot sauce
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, cut into four 3 inch-by-2-inch pieces
- Pinch of pimentón (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Starting 1 inch from the stem ends, slit the chiles lengthwise and cut out the core, tapping out any extra seeds. Transfer the chiles to a baking dish, drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt. Cover with foil and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the chiles are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the avocado with the tomato, lemon juice and onion. Season with hot sauce and salt.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°. Uncover the chiles. Using a fork, carefully open one and insert a piece of Manchego. Sprinkle the chiles with pimentón and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Transfer 2 stuffed chiles to each plate. Spoon the avocado salsa over the chiles, top with the tortilla chips and serve warm.