Lemon Currant Cream Scones
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Plus: More Brunch Ideas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup dried currants or chopped dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with 3 tablespoons of sugar, the baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it resembles small peas. Stir in the currants and lemon zest. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the cream and stir until the dough is evenly moistened. Gather the dough into a ball and gently knead it a few times.
- On a lightly floured work surface, pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thick round. Using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp out as many scones as you can. Gently gather the scraps, press them together and cut several more scones. Transfer the scones to a baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake in the lower third of the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the scones are golden and cooked through. Let cool slightly before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.