- 4 pocketless whole wheat pita breads, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 medium fennel bulbs—halved, cored and very thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup finely chopped fronds
- 8 large radishes, very thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 6 ounces prosciutto, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 1 ounce sliced Manchego or Pecorino Toscano cheese (1/2 cup)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss the pita bread with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Spread the bread on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and crisp. Let cool.
In the same bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, garlic and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fennel fronds. Add the toasted pita bread, fennel, radishes, prosciutto and cheese and season with salt and pepper. Toss the salad and serve.